Your employer will provide Revenue with your pay and tax details and your leaving date.
A claim for unemployment repayment can be made:
- immediately if emergency tax was applied in your last employment
- immediately if you are leaving Ireland permanently
- four weeks after becoming unemployed if you are not receiving any other taxable income
- eight weeks after becoming unemployed if you are receiving other taxable income such as Jobseekers Benefit.
To claim a refund:
- log into PAYE Services within myAccount and select ‘Claim unemployment repayment’
- If you are not e-enabled, you can complete a Form P50 and send it to your Revenue office.
The taxable amount of some social welfare payments is taken into account when calculating tax refunds.