Form P45 is a certificate given by your employer, when you leave employment, that he or she has correctly deducted tax and PRSI from your pay in accordance with the instructions given by the tax office.
Form P45 shows:
- Gross pay to date of leaving
- Tax deducted to date of leaving
- PRSI deducted to date of leaving and number of insurable weeks
- The tax credits, standard rate cut-off point and tax table in operation.
Form P45 is a very important document and is needed for:
- Refund of tax during unemployment
- Claiming Social Welfare benefits
- To give to your new employer in order to avoid emergency tax.
IF YOU DO NOT GET A FORM P45 WHEN LEAVING YOUR JOB, ASK FOR IT.